Fashion Cat: Classic White Shirt + Navy Ankle Pants

Wednesday, July 29, 2015


One item that every professional should have in their closet is a classic white dress shirt. White dress shirts are extremely versatile as they go with all colors and can be dressed up or down. On days when you're not sure what to wear, it's easy to reach for a white dress shirt and a pair of pants or skirt to get you out the door.

One outfit I wore to the office this past week was a classic white dress shirt with navy blue ankle pants. Of course white shirts always tend to be on the see-through side so make sure to wear another layer underneath! The shirt I am wearing is a size XS from Express. I purchased it awhile back during my internship days but always left it in the closet since I was not sure how to style it. I've worn it with other dress pants and it just made the top look extremely boxy. It wasn't until the past few months that I realized wearing tighter work pants with the dress shirt was really the issue. The close fit of the pants only emphasized the boxy shape of the dress shirt (because the shirt is oversized on me). However once I tried pairing the same shirt with a looser pair of pants, the shirt looked more in place.


To make a collared shirt and pants combo more feminine, aim to buy pants that end at the ankles and finish off the outfit with flats for something comfortable or heels for something more formal.

Outfit Details:
| Pants- Cynthia Rowley| Shirt- Express | Shoes- Michael Kors | Purse- Zac Posen | Belt- J. Crew |