Fashion Cat: Michael Kors Jet Set Travel Tote Review

Wednesday, August 12, 2015


As a consultant, I am always on travel. Scratch that, I'm actually rarely at home. I see my apartment sometimes one weekend in a month and so I'm literally living out of a suitcase for sometimes weeks at a time. During my travel flurries, I've learned how to pack minimally and (hopefully) stylishly. One major must-have for my on-the-go lifestyle has always been a good, classic tote.

After looking through several different bags, I settled on trying out the Michael Kors Jet Set Tote in black sometime last year and after months of wear and tear, it has proven itself to be on my list of highly recommended travel bags. When I first purchased this tote, I had high expectations that I was hoping it could fulfill. I wanted a bag that would fit a 15 inch laptop and all accessories (charger, mouse, wallet, etc.), yet still have leftover room and not look bulky. It had to be durable as this bag was going to be thrown on floors and slid under airplane seats among other horrific things. After nearly a year later, this bag has really lived up to its name and I wanted to write about how awesome this bag really is.

Sizes:
The MK tote comes in varying sizes (small, medium, large) and colors. The large tote is meant to fit a 15 inch laptop, while the medium fits a 13inch and the small will fit a kindle or iPad. I purchased the large jet set tote in black because of the classic design and the fact that I’d have a hard time ruining it. But honestly, who can go wrong with a black leather tote? I fell in love with the sleek and timeless, yet simple design. The outside is void of decoration minus the Michael Kors nameplate in gold.

Despite the outside being simple, the inside has a lot of great features for a frequent traveler. The bag is divided into 3 sections, with a close zip middle section made for holding a laptop. The back of the bag has a zip pocket for smaller loose items and a key leash to chain your keys to the purse (perfect for never losing your keys). Additionally the inside front section has more pockets for storage such as a phone, work badge, business cards, pens, etc.


Space:
In terms of space, the largest available size of this tote is very roomy. On a weekly basis, it easily holds my 15 inch laptop, charger, mouse, wallet, keys, my packed lunch (consisting of 2 glass Tupperware containers), and other small tid bits. Despite this bag being jam packed, I can still convince the flight attendants that it’s in compliance as a handbag.


Durability:
This bag is constructed of a durable saffiano leather. Of course that really does not mean anything until you put it to the test. Despite being put on random floors, shoved under airplane seats, and even being doused in beer (unfortunate accidents happen in Mexico, apparently), this bag has been able to keep most of its original shape quite well. To further highlight my surprise of what you can do to this bag and bring up said unfortunate beer accident, my husband accidentally poured some beer into my bag while in Mexico and once we got to the hotel, I took everything out and completely soaked my bag underwater with soap in the sink to get rid of the beer smell. I laid it out on our balcony to dry and the leather held up really well. It was a bit misshapen at first but over time it eventually bent back into the original shape. The leather in general is very resistant to being stretched and bent despite being put to heavy use and purchasing this tote in a dark color means never having to worry about stains. I also have not had any issues with any of the seams or hardware coming loose. 

Pricing:
Although this tote is a bit of a splurge, it is definitely affordable. I purchased mine for $298 at the time and there are always sales for this bag in seasonal colors in stores like Macy’s so if you’re aiming to purchase one but not at the boutique price there are chances to buy them in the high $100s, low $200s on sale.


Overall:
Given the price paid, style, functionality, and all the mishaps this tote has gone through, it is well worth it to purchase this bag for frequent travel. Weekly travel can easily wear and tear a good bag down but this tote seems to be able to take it well. I would buy this tote again if given the chance.