Oahu, Hawaii: Snorkeling

Tuesday, November 11, 2014



Ben and I went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and had a blast! It was a week full of non-stop thrills and new sights. As a first-timer there, everything was new to me. It’s crazy to think that Hawaii, even though it is part of the United States, has a completely different culture from the continental US. We just explored Oahu so this post will be focusing on that island.
Follow me as I present to you a series of activities that we did while in Oahu! 

Post snorkeling photo: Exhausted, yet happy!

Snorkeling

One of my top 3 activities on the island of Oahu was snorkeling. Imagine going to an aquarium, except you’re swimming with the fish and sea turtles in the fish tank, but the fish tank is actually an expansive natural bay created by volcano lava over many years. Yes, that is how it feels to snorkel in Hanauma bay with the sea life. We brought our own snorkeling gear, rented fins, and dove into the ocean looking for tropical creatures. Unfortunately we did not have an underwater camera so I do not have any photos to show you guys here of what we saw.

As a first timer with snorkeling, it definitely was not the most intuitive activity one can do. For one, you’re breathing while your face is dunked underwater. Having had never done it, I had an anxiety attack trying it out because I thought I was going to drown. Walking through the water in fins was the second challenge as there is much more resistance from the water compared to walking around with your feet. Naturally, being very anxious and useless when moving about the water only led to one thing… me cursing very loudly for a good 5 minutes until I got the hang of everything. Ben got a good laugh out of it and it was much better after the first few tries. The feeling of anxiety and nervousness started to fade once I realized I was not going to drown and got a glimpse of the fish.

There are many types of tropical fish that hide in the reefs, but sea turtle sightings are rare. Luckily we were able to spot one after an hour of swimming. Gliding among the coral reefs and swimming alongside the fish made me feel so much more connected to nature and its beauty. We also had to be careful not to scrape ourselves against the reefs since the water levels were shallow. (Actually, my genius self did get a few good scrapes.) There were some parts where my body was literally inches away from the reefs as we were gliding in the water.

As a word of caution to those who do want to snorkel here and continue to share this amazing experience with others in the future, please treat the wildlife with respect. This includes NOT stepping all over the coral reefs and harassing the sea life. It’s really a shame when I see tourists treating nature so poorly.